It is for freedom that Christ has set us free: absolute freedom means freedom, absolutely. Be free.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Gamechangers, a Series

 You can think of this post as a preview.  Or perhaps a "teaser" in the sense that television writers use the word.  Or maybe even "spoilers" in the Whovian sense.  I want to write a series of posts on people, thinkers, creative artists, games, books, tv shows, movies, etc., who have functioned as "Gamechangers" for me.  Someone or something who has convinced me that the game of life (I don't mean it in a cynical way) ought to be played in a way other than I had expected.  Someone, or a thing or an idea that walked into my life and taught me something both substantial and surprising.  I do not pretend to objectivity here: I have no desire to write about the "best" or the brightest, though I imagine some of the objects of my scrutiny will be objects with universal appeal.  I am interested in writing the subjective story, though: why so and so changed my perspective--not how so and so has changed the world's perspective.

 A partial list of Gamechangers
C. S. Lewis: Master of the Mind
Walker Percy: On the Moviegoer and Lost in the Cosmos
Fantasy Writers and Religion: Mercedes Lackey and Sharon Shinn
L. E. Modsett: the Male Feminist Fantasy Author
The Nicomachean Ethics: A Good Question is Hard to Find
Thomas Aquinas and Moral Psychology
The Legend of Zelda, or "I don't play video games, I play Zelda"
Orson Scott Card and the Militaristic Universe
Star Trek and the Utopian Future
IDIC: an Attractive Vision of Pluralism (or, True Pluralism)

 As you can see, some of these things are more or less serious, and much of my concern or reason for a given choice is about how the thing or person formed my imagination as much as other aspects of my person.
 

No comments: